Tying Up Loose Ends

Dave Adventures, Business, Cracked Up (Blog), Creating, Music/Audio Leave a Comment

I haven’t been run over by a train.

I’ve handed off all of my media files to my director and the mixer.  On Friday afternoon, I pretty well collapsed where I sat after seeing the final file get uploaded to my FTP site.

Today, I’m kind of tying up loose ends and cleaning up the files on the system, backing things up, etc…

In the end, I think it came out fantastically well.  One of the last cues I completed was the ending credits.  I was up until 2:30 the night before trying to coble something together.

The closing titles of a film are typically a great chance for the composer to compile a … well, compilation of sorts: write up something that is a re-cap collection of the themes used in the film.  Here’s what I came up with:

Final Theme

Another one of the cues I wanted to share is one that got put through a few volleys.

It centers around the first intimate encounter between the films’ main character and the female lead (btw, she earned the title “Hot Chick” in the applicable cue titles and spotting notes … she’s not too hard on the eyes if I must admit…).  I interpretted the cue to be a more romantic meeting, but my director wanted it to be a bit more “dirty”.

Here are four versions of the cue as the evolved the final day (versions 2, 3 and 4 were pretty well the last things I had on my punch list).  The cue straddles two scenes – the first part of the cue is identical, but the final bit, where the two of them are arriving drunk at home is where things change up (aroudn the :23 mark):

Listening to these again, I thought it was kind of interesting to hear how I kept incrementally “raunching” up the cue based on feedback.

Moving on…

My director is … well, actually at the mixing session as I type this.  I haven’t received any calls in panic yet, so I’ll take that as a good sign. 😉

Barring any last minute “OMFG we can’t live without ________!!!” requests, I’m pretty well ready to wrap up things on this project.  I’ve sent off my end of the cue sheet to the PA and my director with instructions that they need to insert any 3rd party source music they’ve used into the list.  I’m going to be sending off the final invoice and then… well, the next project!

This next one should be fun – a totally different kind of score: 60’s Sci-Fi spoof/comedy!

I’ll probably do one more post in this series about lessons learned and things I’d probably do differently now that I have 20/20 hindsight.  There’s always going to be issues with a project and this one had a couple – nothing huge, but it’s all part of the deal.

I do have to say that, in the end, this was incredibly fun – not only documenting things as they happen, but the project as a whole.  I’m very happy with the score and what’s coming out.  I had a blast and absolutely love working with these guys.

Hopefully, it’ll go beyond everyone’s wildest dreams!

More later…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.