I produced a short opening bumper for one of his other shows that was a web-comedy series about an angel’s “union”. It had a somewhat prominent flute trill in it.
I guess, as a result of editing multiple episodes, that sound has given him a bit of flute-itis – a violent allergic reaction to the sound of the flute.
Anyway, a bit of a short entry today as I’ve got a lot still ahead of me.
I realized last evening that I haven’t added any new instruments to my “orchestra” in a couple of days. I think I’ve got a more-or-less “locked” ensemble. I’ve included a screenshot of a cue to the left – you can click on the image to get a larger view.
The top audio track is the film audio. Below that are three piano tracks that I use to sketch out the music – usually melody, rhythm and bass.
I have your typical Orchestral sections:
- Keyboards (piano and harp – not technically a keyboard but whatever…)
- Strings (Violin I & II, Viola, Cello, Bass)
- Winds (Evil Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon and I’m using English Horn in here as well)
- Brass (Horns, Trumpet, Solo Trumpet and ‘Bone)
- Percussion (Snare, Bass, Cymbals, Metals, Woods, Timpanii)
Following that, I have a few tracks of synths – some pads and rhythmic patches
Below that I have 5 or so tracks for percussive loops
And some more synth tracks – 8 pads and 8 rhythmic elements.
So far, that’s been doing it for this score.
What it Sounds Like
I thought I’d share a couple of examples of works in progress:
- Going to War! – kind of a light-hearted cue that’s under a getting-ready-for-the-game montage
- Epic + Fail – under a montage of head-to-head action with the hero and his advesary
- Triumphant End – supporting the triumph at the end of the film.
More action to come…